Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Carving pumpkins

I got this great idea to carve pumpkins as a family. So I went and got this great kit, that comes with all the cutting tools, candles and these great patterns so you can do the fancy carvings. The kids went through the patterns and each picked one. A few minutes into it I realized this wasn't going to be a quick little project. Nate carved a ghost for Luke and I carved a cat for Ellie. By the end of the night, Ellie had gone to time out three times and I threatened to throw the pumpkins in the road and run over them with the car. I guess I learned my lesson and we will do plain old jack o lanterns next year. Apparently I am not a very skilled pumpkin carver. Who knew?

8 comments:

Ann said...

HA HA HA, I love that threat, I am going to have to use it myself sometime :) Classic!

Amanda said...

Sorry it was such a frustrating event, but that story is hilarious--especially the part about running over the pumpkins! Ha! Totally cracked me up. :)

The Halls said...

I love it! I am just glad I am not the only one that went through it!!!

I learned my lesson and will not let the kids do any carving whatsoever!!! I let them get all the gooey disgusting stuff out of the pumpkin so I can carve them. Everyone is happy and the pumpkins turn out good....trial and error...lots of trial and error before we came to this solution...

Good luck next year!

Nigel Tufnel said...

That cracks me up! I can totally picture my mom saying that to us when we were little, about chucking the pumpkins. I think they look great!

Nigel Tufnel said...

ha ha, this is actually Kathryn--I didn't know I was signed in as Dave, oops!

Megs said...

I think that is hilarious. I want a front row seat when you decide to smash the pumpkins.

I already tried to post this and when I looked at your comments it wasn't there. Weird? I did it about four days ago.

The Waldrons said...

We did those kind of pumpkins last year. I don't have the patients for it and I left the room while Bri and the kids did it. By the end of the night it was Bri doing everyone's pumpkin and me and the kids watching t.v. eating popcorn.

The Waldrons said...
This comment has been removed by the author.